Ir al contenido principal

Countable and Noncountable Nouns


Countable nouns use the indefinite article a/an before the word (noun). For example:

A banana
An apple
A pear
An avocado
A lemon
An orange
A grape
An egg

A goes before a consonant
An goes before a vowel

Uncountable nouns can be counted when they are put in portions or placed in containers. For example:

You can say: 1 (a/one) bottle of mineral water.
1 cup of coffee
1 slice of bread
1 piece of fruit
1 bowl of rice
1 spoon of beans
1 can of diet soda
1 granola bar
1/2 pound of meat
1 glass of water
1 gram of sodium
A carton of eggs
A dozen of eggs
A pack  juices
A six pack of coke

Quantifiers 
some/any/no

These are used to refer to noncountable nouns. Examples:

(+)
1. I just had some rice and beans for breakfast.
2. I only had some coke for lunch.
3. I drank some coffee before sleeping.

(-)
1. I didn't have any rice or beans for breakfast.
2. I didn't have any coke for lunch.
3. I didn't drink any coffee before sleeping.

Using no as quantifier

I had no rice or beans today.
I had no coke for lunch.

A lot of for noncountable nouns

A lot of can be used for countable and noncountable nouns. Example:

There is a lot of noise in the classroom.
There is a lot of water in here.
Lenin drank a lot of wine yesterday.

A lot of for countable nouns

Cindy ate a lot of candies in the birthday.
Carmen had a lot of cookies.
Sebastian fried a lot of fries.

A few

A few is used with noncountable nouns. Examples:

I had only a few rice in my plate.
Jenna ate a few beans in the morning












Kitchen Verbs



Example of a recipe

Watch this recipe videos.

https://youtu.be/m6y3a3zPeE

https://youtu.be/3bH4bOFVecc

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Simple Past

Simple Past The simple past is used to refer to events that concluded in the past. Examples: Antony r ead a book yesterday . William wen t to the mall l ast Saturday . Lisa ate a hamburger at Burger King last night . She ran along the beach when she went to Trujillo.  Emely wrote a paragraph about a past experience. The cat drank all the milk from the bowl.  We sat under a big tree this morning . Armando and George bought many soda cans for the pool party.  Time Expressions to Express Past Events yesterday last night last week last weekend last Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, ... Saturday, Sunday last month last year last period Click on the following links to watch and listen the pronunciation of the Regular and Irregular verbs in simple past . Sentence examples with pronunciation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWZ6cNq6bEY Pronunciation of irregular verbs https://www.youtube.com/...

Introducing Myself

Hello! My name is Rubén Estrada and I am 30 years old. I am from Tegucigalpa, but I live in San Pedro Sula, Cortés. My e-mail address is ruben.estrada@unah.edu.hn. I work as an English and Literature teacher. I study French on Saturdays. I love reading, writing, skating, and painting. I also love going to the movie theater. I like to meet new people and make a lot of friends. Nice to meet you!

Simple Present: Daily Activities

Simple Present Use the simple present to talk about daily activities or routine. brush my teeth exercise get dressed go to school go to sleep make lunch play a game play an instrument play soccer run study take a bath take a shower take out the trash talk on the phone walk the dog wash my hair wash my hands