Ir al contenido principal

Reported Speech (Multiple Choice)

Reported Speech Practice

Reported Speech: Verb Changes

Part A: Multiple Choice

1. Sarah said, "I work in a hospital."
a) worked ✔
b) work
c) had worked
2. John said, "I play soccer every weekend."
a) had played
b) played ✔
c) plays
3. Maria said, "I am studying journalism."
a) studies
b) was studying ✔
c) had studied
4. Peter said, "I have finished my homework."
a) finished
b) had finished ✔
c) finishes
5. Anna said, "I visited Tegucigalpa last month."
a) visited
b) had visited ✔
c) visit
6. Carlos said, "I watched the news yesterday."
a) watched
b) had watched ✔
c) watches
7. The reporter said, "The president gave a speech."
a) had given ✔
b) gave
c) gives
8. Laura said, "I was working when the accident happened."
a) worked
b) had been working ✔
c) has worked
9. David said, "I will travel next week."
a) travels
b) would travel ✔
c) traveled
10. The mayor said, "We will build a new park."
a) would build ✔
b) built
c) build
11. Kevin said, "I can speak French."
a) spoke
b) could speak ✔
c) can speak
12. The witness said, "I can identify the suspect."
a) could identify ✔
b) identified
c) identifies
13. The teacher said, "You must complete the assignment."
a) completed
b) had to complete ✔
c) must complete
14. The doctor said, "You should exercise regularly."
a) should exercise ✔
b) exercised
c) had exercised
15. The journalist said, "People should verify information."
a) verified
b) should verify ✔
c) had verified

Part B: Drag and Drop Matching

Match the Direct Speech verb with its Reported Speech form.

work
play
visited
will travel
can speak
must complete
should exercise


1. work → __________ (worked)
2. play → __________ (played)
3. visited → __________ (had visited)
4. will travel → __________ (would travel)
5. can speak → __________ (could speak)
6. must complete → __________ (had to complete)
7. should exercise → __________ (should exercise)

Answer Key

  • 1. worked
  • 2. played
  • 3. was studying
  • 4. had finished
  • 5. had visited
  • 6. had watched
  • 7. had given
  • 8. had been working
  • 9. would travel
  • 10. would build
  • 11. could speak
  • 12. could identify
  • 13. had to complete
  • 14. should exercise
  • 15. should verify

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Simple Past

Simple Past The simple past is used to refer to events that concluded in the past. Examples: Antony r ead a book yesterday . William wen t to the mall l ast Saturday . Lisa ate a hamburger at Burger King last night . She ran along the beach when she went to Trujillo.  Emely wrote a paragraph about a past experience. The cat drank all the milk from the bowl.  We sat under a big tree this morning . Armando and George bought many soda cans for the pool party.  Time Expressions to Express Past Events yesterday last night last week last weekend last Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, ... Saturday, Sunday last month last year last period Click on the following links to watch and listen the pronunciation of the Regular and Irregular verbs in simple past . Sentence examples with pronunciation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWZ6cNq6bEY Pronunciation of irregular verbs https://www.youtube.com/...

Introducing Myself

Hello! My name is Rubén Estrada and I am 30 years old. I am from Tegucigalpa, but I live in San Pedro Sula, Cortés. My e-mail address is ruben.estrada@unah.edu.hn. I work as an English and Literature teacher. I study French on Saturdays. I love reading, writing, skating, and painting. I also love going to the movie theater. I like to meet new people and make a lot of friends. Nice to meet you!

Simple Present: Daily Activities

Simple Present Use the simple present to talk about daily activities or routine. brush my teeth exercise get dressed go to school go to sleep make lunch play a game play an instrument play soccer run study take a bath take a shower take out the trash talk on the phone walk the dog wash my hair wash my hands